Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just Hanging out!

Well, a lot has changed the Wertenberger Family in the last few days...

Ben won his first sub-state game Monday night at home! Then my water broke as we were leaving the school. Thankfully not a gush that anyone noticed (how embarrassing!). When I got home with the kids, I was rushing to get in the house and Rhett got his arm caught in his seatbelt and fell out of the car and scrapped his face and landed on his head. Really?! Leah was so patient and waited in her car seat while I got Rhett in and an ice pack on his head, changed my clothes and went back for her. I called Ben and he hurried home with his assistant coach hot on his heels to help out. Another friend came to spend the night with the kids until my mom could arrive in the morning. We headed to Newton to the hospital but after it was confirmed that I had ruptured membranes, an ambulance took me to Wesley in Wichita as Newton is not set to provide care for moms or babies at this early stage (31 weeks).

I have received steriod shots to help the baby's lungs develop and will be on antibiotics for 7 days to prevent infection for me and baby. I am not in labor right now. They want to keep me pregnant until 34 weeks so I am on bedrest here at the hospital until then or unless I get an infection or the placenta starts to pull away. A sonogram showed there was still fluid around the baby and the Dr said the baby will continue to make fluid too. The sono also showed the baby weighed 4.5 lbs which is big for 31 weeks, but if any of you had seen me lately, this was not a surprise!

Baby has not shown any signs of distress and is still moving around and has a steady heart rate. Two of my 3 doctors have been in this morning and are encouraged that we have made it another day closer to 34 weeks. I had a good nights sleep and a shower this morning so I'm feeling pretty good. My mom is here with the kids for now and she and Ben brought them up to see me last night. It was so good to see and hug and kiss them, but really heartbreaking to see them go. I am tearing up just thinking about it!

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Specific prayer requests are: for this baby to stay inside until around March 19, for the kids and I as we are apart, for stamina for my mom and Ben as they care for Rhett & Leah, for Ben's basketball team to keep winning, for me to keep busy lying around. No news is good news, so I will update here if there is any change or excitement.

8 comments:

Mom to the Power of 3 said...

Wow, Erin! Prayers for all of you. We'll be thinking of you often. Stay in, Baby, STAY IN! We all want to see you, but NOT YET! :) ((HUGS)) to you.

Unknown said...

Erin,
Ugh! You poor thing. I am so thankful that you and the baby are doing well right now!!! I am sorry you have to be separated from your family right now. But if it keeps you and the baby healthy, then I guess it's not so bad.

To maybe make you feel better,.... I dislocated Trent's elbow yesterday. I guess it's called Nurses Maid or Aid or something? You probably know what I'm talking about. I was just trying to get him to get up from the floor and gently pulled on his arm. I felt so bad!!!! Glad the dr. was able to fix it and we didn't have to do xrays or anything of that sort.

Ok, I am thinking of you!!!! And hope all goes well.
Love you,
Kerri

heathandjennifer said...

We're praying for all of you! I always wanted to lay around all day until I was put on bedrest and that was only for a 4 days! Thinking of you guys!

Megan said...

We will be praying for all five of you (and your mom)! Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Anonymous said...

hang in there, Erin! keep your upbeat attitude, and keep getting good rest. Maybe you need to borrow my kindle and read in between doctor visits and naps? Praying for you all----beth

Hanni said...

Prayers, prayers and more prayers coming your way for ALL of you! I know it must be hard to be on bed rest and away from Ben and your kids. I can't imagine. Use this time to talk to God and let him calm all of your fears and worries. His plan is ALWAYS perfect...not sometimes....ALWAYS!

Kara said...

You have a job don't you? A big one indeed. Just grow that baby.
Read some good books and just trust in God's plan b/c it's good- really really good.

Anonymous said...

Just read this & will definitely say a prayer for you. Keep up the positive spirit & it really isn't that long to wait when you consider taking care if them for the next 18 or 30 years! Take care. Adalee