Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cat Scratch Disease

Well, that's a new one! I've never heard of Cat Scratch Disease, but I'm hoping that is all this is.


The 2 bumps you see on Rhett are swollen lymph nodes. We noticed the lower one a few weeks ago (it was also bruised). We figured he was running around, not watching where he was going (very common occurrence) and bumped into something. When the bruise left and the bump stayed we were a little concerned, but his 3 year check-up was coming up on Monday so we planned to ask about it then.
Yesterday when getting dressed, I noticed the one in his armpit. And Momma had a freak out! Dr. Jantz was not able to get us in yesterday but Ben took Rhett in first thing this morning. Diagnosis: Cat Scratch Disease. Google it. Sounds just like Rhett. So he is on a round of antibiotics and we go back in 2 weeks. They also drew blood today to make sure that's all it is. If the results show anything else, they will drain and biopsy. I'm not even going there right now. Cat Scratch Disease it what it has to be.
FYI: I have always had a strong dislike for cats. I knew they were dirty animals!

4 comments:

Kara said...

I think my nephew had this- or someone else I knew had it. That's quite the lump- holy moly. I would have freaked too!
Meds are good and cats are gross!

Heidi said...

I am with you on the dislike for cats! Please keep us posted on the little guy.

Tiffany said...

Definitely would have been freaked! I can't believe how big those are! I haven't heard of this disease either, but will file this in my head for down the road...I'm sure we could encounter it someday.

Megan said...

I think one or two of us have had it... At least, my mom always used that as a reason to get us to wash really well after we played with the cats, and especially when we got scratched.